Friday 9 December 2022

A Day with John Milton by May Bryon

This was another accidental discovery while searching for more additions. The description sounded like an interesting idea. She wrote a series of short tales about a fictional day in the lives of famous poets and writers.

And it was short, much shorter than I expected although it is a compelling read. The day is set later in his life and after writing Paradise Lost. Milton's personality comes across much as I'd expected and I do wonder how accurate the portrayal is.

I'm currently writing a biography of Milton as part of my new AI Illustrated Edition (https://paradiselostaiedition.blogspot.com/) and while the research I'm doing is interesting May Byron's short tale is a more intimate and engaging approach. So much so that I might include it as it's out of copyright now and provide a richer context for the man,

Unfortunately, this isn't a great edition. I've nothing against Print on Demand and have used it myself but books like this are part of why the disdain exists. This is a minimal-effort reprint and the original illustrations are not included along with no information about the book at all - not even a publishing or print date. It's cheap to pick up though and a read that shed's some light on one of the English language's finest poets.

No comments:

Post a Comment