Tuesday 25 October 2022

A Few More for the Collection

I have to confess that the project is slipping behind schedule, although in my defence for honourable reasons. One of them is a month long fundraising campaign supporting the German Shepherd Dog Welfare Fund - the charity that rescued Wellington who I adopted 18 months ago. I'm also volunteering with them. There are some excellent Halloween themed items you can bid on:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/authorne_50/m.html?item=364019964173&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.m3561.l2562

Of course, that doesn't prevent me from adding a few more books to the collection :-)

The Globe Edition (1934) - The Poetical Works of John Milton

 

I do already have an older version of this edition and it's unfortunate that they look almost exactly the same. And the separation of 30+ years indicates that there are a fair few of these. However, as I'm entering a 'Gotta Catch Em All' frame of mind there'll no doubt be a shelf full of these at some stage!

Okay, now I've placed them side by side the new one is small and puny in comparison :-)


Milton Paradise Lost - Longman Paperback (1986)


 

The 80s were my teen years and I guess they'll never seem that long ago to me. Even if my mind refuses to accept that 40-odd years is a reasonable time period, it is quite short considering the history of the source. However, it does have a couple of interesting aspects. The first is that it's aimed at an academic audience and has a considerable number of annotations bringing clarity to the more obscure references.

There's also a small personal story attached to it, all told by a sticker on the first front matter page. In the class of 85-86 a young lady named Sarah won this copy as Miss Boddington's prize for History at Norwich High School. I wonder if she had an interest in the book, or if it was a standard prize.


Paradise Lost The Novel by Joseph Lanzara



This was an accidental find after discovering the author's website - https://www.paradiselost.org/index-desk.html It is an interesting website with some useful information without being too dense. I can't comment on the novel (yet) as I haven't read, but certainly will do at some stage. I'm a fan of any attempt to allow Paradise Lost reach and ever wider audience.




No comments:

Post a Comment